When I examine myself and my methods of thought I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge.
It is not enough to have knowledge, one must also apply it. It is not enough to have wishes, one must also accomplish.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
Those who know are wise. Those who know themselves are enlightened.
If we judge others, it is because we are judging something in ourselves of which we are unaware.
John A. Sandford
Doubt yourself and you doubt everything you see. Judge yourself and you see judges everywhere. But if you listen to the sound of your own voice, you can rise above doubt and judgment. And you can see forever.
We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
The Indian philosopher J. Krishnamurti once remarked that observing without evaluating is the highest form of human intelligence. When I first read this statement, the thought, ‘What nonsense!’ shot through my mind before I realized that I had just made an evaluation.
Inc.com had an article at the beginning of 2015 that lists 57 ways to make 2015 fabulous. I know we are all fabulous but there are times we get too busy or too tired and we forget how wonderful and extraordinary we are! Here’s a few things to help remind us of what we can do to make 2015 (and beyond) fabulous.
- Eat a bit healthier. Take healthy foods (like fresh fruit) to work and eat it rather than the sugary stuff most other people eat.
- Eat something delicious. Rather than scarfing fast food, eat something really delicious every day, like a chunk of fine cheese or an imported chocolate.
- End each day with gratitude. Just before bed, write down something wonderful that happened that day. Be grateful for the day because it will never come again.
- Enjoy your own foibles. Being able to laugh at yourself and your own limitations is the first step to overcoming them.
- Forgive more often. Rather than wasting energy fixing blame and punishing, fix the problem, let it go and then move forward.
Shards of glass can cut and wound or magnify a vision.
Terry Tempest Williams
If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man’s life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change.
I believe in cultivating opposite, but complementary views of life, and I believe in meeting life’s challenges with contradictory strategies. I believe in reckoning with the ultimate meaninglessness of our existence, even as we fall in love with the miracle of being alive. I believe in working passionately to make our lives count while never losing sight of our insignificance. I believe in caring deeply and being beyond caring. It is by encompassing these opposites, by being involved and vulnerable, but simultaneously transcendent and detached, that our lives are graced by resilience and joy.